Saturday, June 14, 2008

Comments on my Historical Clothing Collection

The pictures here are from my collection of recreation of historical clothing, as exhibited in January 2008 at the Gallery at the Art Institute of New York City, where I teach college-level courses in Fashion History as well as other classes on the fashion industry.

Members of the Society for Creative Anachronism are required to wear an "attempt" at period clothing to events. I am a twenty-year member of the Society. Some of us do a lot of research in this area. Since I have been sewing since I was 12, and have a deep love for the history and technical aspects of clothing, the SCA has been a wonderful outlet for my creativity.

Here are some of the garments I have made. Most of them are based on portraits from the Sixteenth Century. I especially love the garments of Florence and England. My favorite fashion icons of the period are Eleonora de Toledo, Duchess of Florence and Queen Elizabeth I of England.

More about this in a later post.

No comments: