Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A writer's life

I love to write. Yup. You heard it here first. But it seems that much of my time is spent trying to be a writer.

What does that mean? Crafting the perfect query letter-- I have a basic format, but each is a bit different. Kind of like doing alterations on a garment. (Ever notice how most of my writing ties into sewing in some way? Weird.) After the query comes the submission. Getting it into the correct format. Again there is a basic format, but every agent and every editor has her/his own specs. The printing-- for those who want hard copies-- formatted as specified, etc. Yowza.

You all know what I mean.

I have spent all day today doing requested submissions. (That makes me a professional.)

When that is done, you have to do "real" writing. Hey, that is the reason I got the Masters from Seton Hill--note the shameless plug for the Writing Popular Fiction program-- I want to be a real writer.

Tomorrow is the first day of my "real" writing career. I will get back to my third novel about 16th Century Italy. (Well, it is my 4th novel if you count the Star Trek novel I completed in 1978.) It is a story that needs to be told.

Wish me luck.

No comments: